Sunday 17 March 2013

Outfit of the Week: 50s Biker/Steampunk Fusion


First blog post!

Recently, my friend and I have been a little obsessed with 50s fashion.  I was playing with a 50s theme for this outfit, but since I've also been meaning to test-run this new skirt I bought I decided to see if I could fuse the two to create something a little more modern. I think it went pretty well!

Note to self: Check hair looks ok before taking photos in future
 Outfit:
Jacket - Primark
T-shirt - M&S
Skirt - Lovestruck
I was also wearing black leggings and naturally distressed black ankle boots.

Accessories (what this outfit is all about):
Goggles - Amazon
Studs -  Claires
Gloves: Picked them up for 50p in a clearance sale, not sure if they're still available.
Necklace (actually a pocket watch): From Claires, again, but actually a gift from my sister
Ear Cuff - Claires, but was originally one of those ones with a chain and stud. Upon bringing it home and trying it on I realised the chain wasn't working for me and removed it with a pair of jewelry pliers.
Belt: Second-hand

For the makeup, I tried out a cut crease winged liner – not something I've done before – and it’s a bit messy, but I like the result. I won’t be doing a tutorial for anything like this until I’m a bit more confident, but check out vintageortacky's Mockingjay look on Youtube to see how it’s done, because that’s the same method I (attempted to) use.

This was the least blurry. I really need to get better at handling a camera


I used Collection 2000’s extreme 24-Hour felt tip liner, bronze eye shadow (brand unknown) and Barry M’s black kohl eyeliner and black mascara to create the eyes, then used MUA's red lipstick in shade 13 (a favourite of mine for rockabilly looks) with a little of an old dark red I bought in Claires Accessories on top to make it that little bit edgier. Could be worn with a gloss, but I didn't bother.

My nails are a Claire’s black polish with a silver crackle coat by 17 from Boots, and are inspired by Bunny Bennett from Steam Powered Giraffe’s nails. I didn't actually wear them specifically for that look, but they look good with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment